Sunday, July 5, 2009

Welcome to Our Virtual Learning Space

I am Dr. Kathleen P. King, professor of adult education at Fordham University.
You likely have heard that I will be your Monday and Friday keynote speaker for Dental Hygiene Summer Week July 2009 at UT Memphis.



his space is set aside as an online collaborative environment for you to share information with the world about your learning. You will see that on your Thursday schedule you are asked to draft a reflective essay. I am asking you to post a public version of your reflection here in the blog space.

Why? This will be an opportunity to "kickstart" our Friday discussion, a platform for you to learn what your colleagues are learning so you can engage in further discussion together, and as an vital example for you and other educators to see how new media can be an effective tool in adult learning.


Rather than only working as content gatherers and consumers; we are truly engaging in being content creators in this global collaborative activity.

Join me, won't you, as we share our thoughts about our learning this week at UT.

And something even more unusual, I will speaking with you from China! During your events I will be speaking in Hangzhou and Beijing at conferences, but will connecting with you virtually! Check out the announcement here.

For those who are interested, I hope to be posting to my Twitter feed while on tour...


Very best, your virtual speaker and fond colleague,

Dr. Kathleen P. King
kpking@fordham.edu


www.kpking.com
www.transformationed.com

9 comments:

  1. Hi all,

    I am so excited to see everyone again during MDH week, which is in a week. I can't wait to be motivated and inspired further this summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings from Florida. I, too, am most excited and as a "newbie" will be doing my best sponge imitation in order to soak up the new information. I look forward to meeting everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also very excited about starting this new journey and meeting all of you!! I can't believe it will be here in a week. I hope everyone has safe travels!! See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Everyone! I can't believe that the time has arrived. Just like everyone else, I am very excited (and a little nervous) to start this new experience! I am looking forward to seeing you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cant believe you have posted. This will be an exciting week and Dr. King is truly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello everyone! Day two is over for MDH week and I am excited about this new journey that I will be traveling with many of you. I am looking forward to learning as much as I can during this time in the program. I am truly inspired by Dr Williams, Dr King, Dr Ballard, and Professor April WIlliams. It's so good to have these ladies as our mentors in this new adventure in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This experience is still very surreal to me! I can't believe I am actually embarking on this journey. Everyone here has been so great and I look forward to working with you all! I am very excited and anxious to experience everything this program has to offer me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, halfway through MDH Week 2009 already and, so far, it has been every bit as amazing as last year and then some! Not to mention the relief of having our presentation out of the way - wooo-hooo!
    I am so enjoying seeing everyone again and meeting the new students while getting geared up for "round 2"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. MDH Week has provided me with a lot of insight about the career path I have chosen. Days one and two were a little overwhelming because I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. I spent those days just taking everything in. One great experience for me is having been able to meet some absolutely wonderful hygienists and educators. As a fairly new graduate with no experience in education, I feel honored to be among such great women. I hope to learn from the experience of others and hope they will assist in modeling me into the best dental hygiene educator I can become. In addition to feeling honored to be a part of this great cohort, I also feel slightly pressured to be able to hold my own in a group of more experienced clinicians.
    I do like the way Dr. Ballard has us grouped together. I think every group has a good mix of experience. I am confident that everyone has something different to bring to the table. This will help facilitate learning and growth for everyone. So far, I have realized that I need to do some review. To many of the seasoned educators, the verbiage comes so naturally. I will need some practice expressing things into words. I am fortunate to have been offered a position as a clinical instructor to second year hygiene students at Louisiana State University School of Dentistry in Baton Rouge. While working here, I will also be in private practice. Having these jobs simultaneously will benefit me because I can practice what I am preaching to students. I will be more aware of my own technique. I hope this, along with brushing up on some textbook reading, will allow verbalization of my correction format as well as my ability to ask questions that will induce critical thinking to develop over time.

    ReplyDelete