Thursday, July 16, 2009

Pathway to Growth

As I crossed over the Memphis Tennessee state line, I was a bit hesitant and not quite sure as to what I should be expecting from this MDH program and, for that matter, what was expected of me. One thing I knew for sure, I was extremely nervous and beginning to shake uncontrollably just thinking about the upcoming week unfolding and where this new journey detour was about to embark in my life. While listening to Dr. King’s inspirational tele-talk on Monday, I began reflecting about this learner path before me and the task at hand I needed to understand in order to succeed. Like a lucid-state, out of body experience, Dale Carnegie best framed my momentary sentiments I had rushing through my head, “…Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done…” Yes, it was a bucket of Tennessee ice water-in-my-face unfolding before me. I quickly realized it was nothing more than another layer of Life’s secret learning tours waking me up to provoke, inspire, and enable me to ingest this pathway before me. It was nudging me to participate as a willing partner to learn and challenge myself as an individual, a student and educator all rolled up in one tiny little ball. In fact, my presence here this week has become a true testament of my acceptance to this challenge for continued growth & learning. I have risen to the most important aspect in my life that sits before me and I stand up today to be counted that I am and want to be here to complete this wonderful learning pathway unfolding before me.

The pathway to this learning curb first began early on while going to dental hygiene school. Within that period, I acquired my Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene Education and continued to work in the private practice sector. Within those years, I pursued a Yoga teacher certification program which allowed me to teach & instruct Yoga classes, group workshops as well as private instruction. Most recently, in the last three years, I began teaching clinical dental hygiene at Georgia Perimeter College alongside my mentor. Today, I am currently enrolled in the Master of Dental Hygiene Program at University of Tennessee. One aspect I share commonality with Dr. King’s pathway of learning is where our journeys began to where it has now safely landed. For the most part, I never considered, entertained or anticipated the very idea of embarking on this pathway and the mystery ride before me remains even more enticing.

It is with a great sigh of relief to acknowledge that after attending Dr. Ballard’s class on Wednesday, my jitters have finally begun to subside allowing me to relax & slip into my comfort zone and begin feeling that 'everything will work out for the best.' I also have to say that I truly enjoyed the “setting of the pace of the class” which allowed me to ultimately feel that this challenging program is very much attainable. This amazing new journey is allowing me to become a part of another greater-part of my learning-self while sharing this learning curb of successes with all my mentors, my fellow students and my loving spiritual supporters from within my circle of family and friends. It is allowing me to shape myself into the best student, learner and educator that I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment