Thursday, July 16, 2009

Well, I can’t believe we have nearly completed another MDH Week. Before I can share my reflection of this week, I have to share a story. A friend had sent me an e-mail about a woman who passed through a park every day on her way to work. One day she noticed a little girl sitting on a bench. The little girl was barefoot and wore a dingy, white dress. Her long hair was disheveled and she had a large, grotesque hump on her back. Her eyes were full of sorrow and cast downward. As the woman crossed the park, she watched as people rushed passed the little girl completely ignoring her. The woman was angry that no one was stopping to help this little girl who was obviously lost. The woman’s heart filled with sadness and pity for the girl. Despite being late to work herself, she approached the little girl. She leaned over and asked if there was anything she could do for her. Immediately, the little girl leapt to her feet and exclaimed, “I knew it! I knew it! I knew that someday you would finally see me!” Startled, the woman stumbled backward, nearly falling. “I don’t understand,” she said. Beaming, the little girl explained that she had been patiently sitting on that park bench for months; just waiting. As the woman was still trying to grasp the situation, the little girl’s hump transformed into a pair of brilliant white wings and her hair took on a blinding glow. The woman shielded her eyes. When she looked again, the little girl was gone. The woman stood there and wept.

I wish I still had the original e-mail, because I know I didn’t quite tell it right. The point is that sometimes (often) things are not how we perceive them. I did not want to come to Memphis this week. Mainly, I did not want to present to all of you. My “perception” of what this week was going to be like was not good. I saw our project’s subject matter (no offense, Marilee & Kim) as a “large, grotesque hump”. However, after presenting, I realized that I was the only one unable to see the “angel”. What does this have to do with MDH Week? I have no idea! We were told to post what we have learned this week on Dr. King’s blog. While I’ve received excellent classroom information from Dr. King, my classmates, Dr. Williams, Prof. April Williams and others, what I’ve learned the most has come from discussions with my classmates outside the classroom. You all have shown me stellar character, generosity, loyalty, dedication, compassion, resilience; the list goes on and on. Whether you know it or not, you have reminded me to stop looking at the “large, grotesque humps” in life and allow my heart to see the “angels” that have been patiently waiting. I thank you for that! Best wishes to everyone...

1 comment: