Thursday, July 16, 2009

MDH week

As I started MDH week here a UT, I was expecting to meet colleagues and become a student with many responsibilities. I was excited to be a student again, but also nervous about meeting professionals with much more experience in clinical practice as well as in education. As the week progressed I realized that, actually that's a great quality among our class.

Beginning with Dr. King's lecture. I realized how much I would learn. I was very excited to hear different ideas and perspectives when it comes to Dental Hygiene practice and education. There were several concepts in that lecture that really made me think about education and all the different paths it can lead you. Not only that, but how education can be delivered in different styles and settings. As clinical instructors, we are focused on the task in front of us and sometimes forget about the big picture. This was one of those eye opening moments that made this week so important and valuable to me.

As the week progressed, I realized how fortunate I was to be in this group of professionals. During Dr. Ballard's clinical exercise, I was very glad to exchange ideas in a clinical setting. It was great to see how different instructors verbalize clinical directions to students. To me, that was an invaluable experience.

As this week comes to an end, all the concerns and worries I had about this program have been replaced by excitement. I am so grateful to see that our class is very diverse when it comes to experience and I can't wait to share with my classmates, as well as to learn from them. I know that this program is the right choice for me and can't wait to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment