Thursday, July 16, 2009

MDH, Mid-Life, Motorcycles, Millennial Students, and Memories of Memphis

As I nervously introduced myself on Monday, I wondered what my instructors and classmates thought of me. I am at mid-life, assuming I live to 100, and at University of Tennessee Health Science Center to pursue an item on my “Bucket List”. I have the motorcycle so I thought masters degree should come next. I know mo comes after ma but the motorcycle was less expensive. I have a renewed understanding what my new students feel and the thoughts they have. Will I make it through this program or even this course? Will I get along with a small group of classmates- will I fit in? What am I doing here? Can I get a tuition refund? As my anxiety subsided, I realized that we are all in this together, we will be “Survivors”, and we will not be voted off the island this week.
In my 30 years as a dental hygienist, I have been committed to life-long learning. However, this week made me realize that for the past 25 years I chose only the things of great interest to me and I have selected the pace at which I learned those things. I find myself in a new place. Dr. King’s “Strategies for Success” will be valuable as I set goals, try to stay on track, be accountable to the Gracey Group, and meet course deadlines. Homework at age 50 is a strange feeling. I told my ten year old that I was struggling with my assignment for Wednesday and he suggested I try Wikipedia. I didn’t find the answers there but I know I will be a frequent visitor to the UTHSC Library website. I enjoyed the library orientation and look forward to using Medline and STAT!Ref. Anatomy.TV looks like an exciting teaching tool.
Since I am a Baby Boomer, I found Dr. Ballard’s discussion of the Millennial Generation very intriguing. Understanding some of their group characteristics such as need for clear and consistent rules that are enforced, enjoyment of group work, trial and error learning style, desire for new technology, and short attention span will assist me as I strive to improve my courses and enhance student learning.
I am aware that I tend to teach in the style I prefer to learn. I prefer to read assignments and I expect lectures to emphasize the important text points and supplement reading assignments. Many of my students expect the power point handout to tell them all they need to know and fail to read text assignments. I am looking for the infusion of new and innovative ideas to improve my teaching and reach my students. Perhaps I will find answers in Kolb’s Learning Styles, improved test construction, understanding the Millennial Generation, or conducting research to help us all find a better way. From my experiences this week, I know I have found a group for dedicated teachers and mentors. I have much to learn from all of you and will have fond memories of MDH Week 2009 in Memphis.

No comments:

Post a Comment